Tuesday, November 29, 2016

CQ WW 2016

Well CQ WW for 2016 is over.

My scores for the SSB & CW tests:

CW  SOSB HP 80 Mtrs  30 Qs    9 Zones    25 Countries   2,686 Points

SSB  SOAB QRP  133Qs  35 Zones  76 Countries  33,966 points

For the CW test I wanted to see how the Inverted L and the RX loop would perform. As I live here in the suburbs operating on the low bands can be a challenge for erecting full size antennas. Dr Dave, KN2M, had suggested the Inverted L some time ago and I finally got around to building it. I am very happy with the performance as the band was not that great. I ran about 500 watts on the Inverted L and used the Rx loop as needed. I stayed on until about 4:30 AM EST to see if there would be an opening to KH6 or JA. There was no joy here in WNY but the Caribbean stations were running pileups of JA's as I turned off the tig to get some sleep.

Here is the loop






It was positioned out in the yard oriented for the best Rx from Eu and AF.

Plans and info at:

3805 Rx Loop

The only thing not shown in this photo is the feed point box that I made up from a plastic electrical box with  SO-239 mounted on it.
It really knocks down the noise. It can be used with or without a Rx pre-amp. Thanks to Ricky, N2ENM, for soldering it up for me